John Kendrick Bangs's Profile
Brief about John Kendrick Bangs: By info that we know John Kendrick Bangs was born at 1970-01-01. And also John Kendrick Bangs is American Author.
John Kendrick Bangs Biography
- John Kendrick Bangs (May 27, 1862 - January 1922) was a known American author, editor and satirist. He was born in Yonkers, New York to a well-off family. His Father was a lawyer in New York as well as his brother Francis S. Bangs.
- He studied at Colombia University from 1880 to 1883 and became the editor of the Columbia's literary and contributed short anonymous pieces to humor magazines. In 1883, after his graduation, he entered Columbia Law School but left in 1884 to become Associate Editor of Life under Edward S. Martin. He made many articles and poems to the magazine and even published his first book.
- In 1888, he left Life and worked at Harper's Magazine, Harper's Bazaar and Harper's Young People. For a year he held the title of Editor of the Departments of Humor for all three magazines and at the same time served as active editor of Harper's Weekly. Hw worked briefly in 1889 as the fisrt editor of the Munsey's Magazine and became editor of the American editior of the Literature, owned still by Harper.
- In 1901 he left Harper & brothers and became ditor of the New Metropolitan magazin e in 1903. In 1904 he was appointed editor of Puck, a popular American humor magazine. Within this period, he revived the interest in drama and by 1906 he switched his focus to the lecture circuit.
- Bangs married Agnes Hyde and had three sons, but she died in 1903. He then married Mary Gray and in 1907 moved from Yonkers to Ogunquit, Maine. He died at age 95 in 1922 from stomach cancer in Altantic City, New Jersey.